Inequality in advanced countries, such as Germany, has reached levels of 100 years ago.Mehr erfahren
What went wrong?
It is often repeated that inequality is just a transitory phenomenon and is necessary for dynamism and economic growth.Mehr erfahren
New Economy in Progress
Inequality is a political choice, produces discontent and can even lead to financial instability.Mehr erfahren
CHART: Income inequality and growth in Europe, 1989-2017
Source: Blanchet et al. (2019).
5 ways that are discussed to reduce inequality
- Taxing wealth as a tool in the fight against rising wealth inequality.
- Increased inheritance taxes in an attempt to boost social mobility.
- Compensate workers through stock ownership schemes to better distribute capital.
- Combat tax avoidance by clamping down on offshore locations and tax havens.
- Investment in education in a drive to reduce market levels of inequality; redistribution is not enough.